Sunday 16 February 2014

13arts / The Flying Unicorn DAY 4

Today is a special post ;)  
Welcome to the 13 days with 13arts and the Flying Unicorn Cross Promotion! It's great to be a part of this. I hope you have found some inspiration already! 
Few more days to go! Few more projects and tutorials from very talented teams!
Check 13arts blog for more details!




Below is my project and tutorial which I have prepared for you.


My tutorial is about layers and textures. You will see how to make interesting background with many different textures. I will also show you how I have used some stuff in more than one way.


I put some pieces of 13arts Timeless collection papers and cardboard cuts on a canvas board. I also use scraps from other projects ( on the next pic you will see pieces of paper with a layer of gesso ). I stick everything using Ayeeda Acrylic Gel Medium.


When gel medium is dry I apply thin layer of Ayeeda Black Gesso. I still want to see what is under the layer of black gesso. I also leave some areas without black gesso because I will need some brighter areas to spray some mists later.


For more interesting background I use Flying Unicorn chipboard as a stencil. I use white pen to draw around the chipboard. Fab results also can be achieved by using a silver pen which looks great on a black background.


Once again I use a stencil ( this one is 13arts ) but this time in more popular way. I apply 13arts Modeling Paste using pallet knife. 


While I'm waiting for background to dry I prepare a tag. The tag you can find in Flying Unicorn shop. It's a good size background that's why I couldn't resist and I apply mediums. Around the tag I put some drops of Orange Ayeeda Ink and I spray water. Ink with spayed water looks like a mist but you can apply it in more controlled way ( which I can't say about mists, they are always everywhere including my hands ).


When the ink is dry I apply gel medium using hmmm don't know how to call it ( you can also see this tape on the first photo with the stuff which I glued to the background ). In this point I leave a tag to dry and back to the canvas.


I spray a few colours of Ayeeda Mists - Orange, Turquoise, Ultramarine ( at the picture you can see that in some places orange and blue mixed together and give green ). When the mists are still wet I apply good amount of sea salt to the background. Crystals will absorb some of the ink and small spots will appear. I leave salt to dry.

At this time I stick Flying Unicorn chipboard ( the same chipboard which I used as a stencil ) to the tag, glue two words 'forever' and 'you' ( which you can find at FU shop) and apply black paint around the tag and around chipboard. I glued the tag to the canvas after removing salt.  

That's it!
And now about a prize...



If you want to win this fab prize you simply need to pop in to the Flying Unicorn Facebook page  – like them and  share. The next day the winner of that prize pack will be announced.

Magda x

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Interesting to see your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see how you created this brilliant piece! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genialne! Uwielbiam szczerze Twoje tutki!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tutorial! Love this canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your step-by-step photos and your project is fabulous-so much yummy texture!! By the way, the tool is a palette knife! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niesamowite! Wciągające, niepokojące, inspirujące.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning as always - sadly I am not on face book -but good luck everyone

    ReplyDelete
  9. fajna sprawa z tą solą ;-) dzięki za dzielenie się warsztatem

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very pretty! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such fabulous textures - and dramatic colours... thanks for sharing your process.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The texture you've created on here is really amazing. I love seeing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautiful work or art, Magda...and with directions! How cool is that?? Even on a computer screen, I can almost palpate the texture! Brilliantly composed! Mwah! KayW

    ReplyDelete